Excessive warm outside air and moisture inside the refrigerator can cause unpleasant odor and mold on the rubber gasket, shelves and refrigerator door. They can also appear after a long idle technique, for example, during vacation.
Once you notice black spots even the smallest size, immediately proceed to remove them. Because mold spores grow very quickly and can cause not only an allergic reaction in some people, but also provoke more serious ailments. Fortunately, getting rid of mold in the fridge is not so difficult. All you need is a couple of ingredients from your lockers and a few simple steps.
How to get rid of mold in 8 steps
Step 1. Before starting to remove the mold from the refrigerator, remove all food from the shelves and freezer. This is a good opportunity to check and eliminate any leaks from the packages, the remains of stale food and expired products.
Step 2. Remove all boxes, containers, trays and shelves.
Step 3. Defrost the refrigerator: first adjust the temperature to 0 degrees, then disconnect the appliance from the power supply.
Step 4. Fold all removable parts of the refrigerator in a bath filled with a solution of warm water and 2 cups of 9% vinegar. Leave them soaked while you are washing the camera.
Soak the removable parts of the refrigerator in the bath
Step 5. To clean the inside of the refrigerator, you need to use something that can kill mold and fungus. For this purpose, the following tools are suitable:
- 5-9% table vinegar (safe and affordable, but dark spots remove somewhat more difficult);
- Any chlorine bleach (easily removes stains, but dries out the rubber band and leaves a pungent smell);
- Hydrogen peroxide (leaves a smell).
Protect your hands with rubber gloves and start wiping the refrigerator with a cloth soaked in the chosen composition (undiluted). Also, you can pour the product into a spray and irrigate every corner.
The cleaning agent is best sprayed on the walls of the chamber from the atomizer
- To remove especially stubborn stains and to clean hard-to-reach places, for example, grooves in a rubber gasket, use a toothbrush. Also for cleaning the grooves of the sealant it is very convenient to use cotton buds.
- Pay special attention to the cleaning of the drain hole, since mold can also settle in it. Moreover, the blockage in the discharge of the refrigerator can cause excessive moisture in the chamber. The hole must first be cleaned with a wooden skewer, and then pour into it your solution with an enema or funnel.
- Since the chlorine-containing agents can dry the sealing rubber of the refrigerator, it is advisable to lubricate it with petrolatum or oil after sanitation.
Remember that such cleaning should be subjected to absolutely all surfaces - from the doors to the guides, to prevent the repeated occurrence of mold in the refrigerator.
Step 6. Once you finish the procedure, re-wipe the refrigerator with a damp, clean rag to remove the odor and remnants of the product, and then dry the surfaces with a dry towel.
Step 7. Now, do the washing of the shelves and trays, and then rinse them clean.
Step 8. Finally, return all the removable parts to the place, connect the refrigerator and set the desired temperature. After half an hour it can be filled again with products.
How to get rid of an unpleasant smell (in the absence of mold)
If after a long idle time of the refrigerator, you find out that the chambers smell unpleasant, but there are no stains in them, then you can use the same instruction, but replace vinegar, peroxide and bleach with a solution of soda.
- To soak the shelves and containers in the bath you need 1 glass of soda.
- To clean the cameras you need a little warm water and 2 tbsp. spoons of soda.
However, keep in mind that soda is a light abrasive even when diluted in water, so the soda solution should be pre-tested on a barely visible area of the refrigerator.
See more: How to remove the smell from the refrigerator for 6 steps
And a little bit about prevention
To prevent the mold from appearing in your refrigerator again, try to observe the following recommendations:
- Before each departure, turn off the refrigerator, having previously emptied it and opening the door open.
- Do not store supplies for longer than their shelf life.
- Noticing the leaks from the packages of products, eliminate them immediately.
And one more tip: solve the problem of high humidity in the refrigerator will help packets of silica gel, which are usually put in shoe boxes. Put a bag on each shelf and try to change them periodically.