Roller blinds (roller blinds or roller blinds) are fabric webs that, due to the existing chain mechanism and the latch (according to the type of blinds), are folded upward when lifted up, and their length can be adjusted and fixed at any level.
There are also roller blinds with automatic adjustment (due to the electric drive).
What roller blinds are and what are the differences?
Roller blinds in the interior can be selected of the following types:
- Classic, which can be hung on both the wall and the window opening. In the photo below the standard roller blinds in the interior of the cuisine in the style of Provence. Note that they are installed inside the window opening, not on the wall.
These types of roller blinds are still called open - they are cheaper than cassette, but require a little more frequent cleaning. Their price directly depends on the size. The width of standard rolls is 50-300 cm, and the length is 100-300 cm.
- Cassette (UNI system) - in contrast to classic rolls, the cassette models have a plastic box, into which the roll of fabric is rolled. This is how the cassette roller blinds look in the interior of the kitchen.
Due to the presence of the box, the curtains in the folded form are almost invisible on the window frame, as if they were not there. Therefore, you need to choose not only the color of the canvas, but also the color of the cassette. In the next photo you can see how harmoniously the boxes merge with a white plastic and wooden window frame.
Another feature is that the cassette roller blinds are raised and lowered on the side guides, because of which the straightened cloth touches the glass very tightly.
Cassette roller blinds of the UNI system are the most expensive of all types of roller shutters and they cost an average of 500 rubles. more expensive than classic and mini curtains.
We recommend installing cassette-roller blinds in the kitchen in case:
- if you do not often obscure the kitchen;
- if you often ventilate the kitchen and open the window at an angle;
- if you combine blinds with curtains or tulle.
Installation is performed in the following way:
- At the top of the frame, you need to attach a plastic cassette box. It can be drilled and screwed onto self-tapping screws or simply glued to a double-sided tape;
- A roll of cloth is hiding in this cassette, and on each side of the frame glued to the glazing beads - they will close the gap between the curtain and the frame and fix the cloth on the window so that when it opens in an inclined position the curtain does not hang.
Keep in mind that you can choose one of three ways to mount a cassette roller blind with your own hands.
- MINI roller blinds - mini-roller blinds are attached directly to the sash of the window, without drilling the frame. These structures can be of an open and closed type and often complement traditional curtains.
The size range of curtains MINI: width 30-160 cm, length 140-180 cm.
To hang mini blinds, use special Velcro or staples. That's how open, that is, classic little roller blinds in the interior of modern kitchen.
Despite the fact that the roller blinds, in their laconic form, are closer to modern styles like the Scandinavian and high-tech, they perfectly fit in neoclassic, modern, fusion and art deco interiors. The main thing is to choose the right material, color and design.
- Roller blinds for the kitchen Zebra (Day-night). This is a two-layer curtain composed of a transparent and opaque fabric. The stripes of these fabrics alternate, and as they rise and fall, the curtain moves the strips between them. Thanks to this you can adjust the degree of illumination of the kitchen.
How to determine the right size?
Before you order roller blinds for the kitchen, you will need to correctly take measurements from the window opening. Measure the following values:
- Total width, height of the opening;
- Width, height of window leafs;
- Thickness of the established glazing beads;
- Width / height for each glass separately;
- The distance between the glasses and handles.
How not to be mistaken with the material and design?
For roll curtains, you can choose fabrics of different composition and density, differing not only in decorative properties, but also with light transmittance. Most often, fabrics for roller blinds are treated with dust repellent and antistatic impregnations, which greatly simplifies the maintenance of them and the service life. This is another reason to choose roller blinds in the kitchen.
Among the popular materials:
- Blended fabrics;
For the interior of the kitchen in the Scandinavian, classic, minimalist or "rustic" (country, provence, cheby chic) style, bamboo, linen, cotton and blended fabrics are perfect. Here's how to fit the bamboo roller blinds into the interior of the kitchen.
On the surface of curtains, you can make photoprints or patterns that correspond to the decorative elements of the interior. But it is better to avoid too complicated design.
The kitchen with low ceilings visually stretches the rolls in a vertical strip, and the narrow space will expand the horizontal stripes.
For a small, narrow or dark kitchen, white roller blinds are suitable. However, this color is universal for any kitchen, for every style and color scheme of the kitchen.
It is necessary to hang translucent curtains, if you only need to lightly scatter light, and to completely close the room from light, choose a dense matter or even blackout.
The photo below shows that the natural light in the kitchen is muffled, and due to the beige color of the kitchen the kitchen has become "warmer".
If the kitchen windows are located on the north side, then the choice is golden, orange, yellow or cream tone.
Is the window facing south? It is worthwhile to hang curtains made of purple, gray, pearl, blue or green fabric.
When choosing the color of the roller blind for the kitchen, be guided by the color of the finishes and furniture (apron, floor, walls, suite, dining group), or the color of kitchen textiles and decor (tablecloths, upholstery of chairs, pillows, etc.).
Do you want to make the interior really harmonious? It is important to consider the color of the walls - if it is discreet and laconic, then the curtains can be executed in bright or contrasting shades. But keep in mind that contrasts are not suitable for every kitchen. If you are not afraid of dark curtains, and the decoration is not full of pictures and color, then you can make curtains in color accent, as shown in this photo.
For all "village" styles and variations of classics it is recommended to combine roller blinds with curtains, tulle or lambrequin.
How to strengthen roller blinds with their own hands, we have described previously. This can be done with drilling and without, using self-tapping screws or double-sided scotch tape.
- Large and heavy curtains should be mounted with drilling with self-tapping screws;
- Mini-cassette-type curtains can be glued onto the Velcro tape, and side guides can be glued onto a conventional double-sided adhesive tape, for the classic mini-curtains, one-piece brackets can be used.